Sunday, November 1, 2009

Monday Menu

After flipping through my Recipes To Try folder I settled upon one I had come upon a few months ago. This is its first run and I have to say it will be a keeper. Its a nice tasty dish and I think will be especially good for cold weather. With that said Monday Menu is:

Mexican Noodle Bake (Meatless)
Salad
Corn Bread or Muffins

This recipe by Quiltingqueen is #381943 and can found at Recipezaar. I mixed this together tonight thinking that I would then just pop it into the pan and oven when I got home tomorrow. It hasn't been baked yet and is very good, so not sure whether this will be a warm up or I will follow through on the recipe itself. Oh, as I used mild taco seasoning I also added a tablespoon of chili powder and only cooked the elbows for about 3 and a half minutes.
Mexican Noodle Bake (Meatless) - 381943 - Recipezaar


Mexican Noodle Bake (Meatless)

SERVES 6

Ingredients
2 tablespoons oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup green pepper, chopped
1 cup celery, sliced
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, undrained
1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 cups elbow macaroni, dry
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated

Directions

1Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and rinse in cold water, set aside.
2In a large skillet, saute onion, pepper and celery in oil until softened.
3Stir in taco seasoning, beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce.
4Simmer for 10 minutes.
5Remove from heat and stir in cooked noodles.
6Spread mixture in a 9 x 13 pan. (or, put in gallon ziploc bag and freeze--write baking instructions on the bag, then when you are ready to eat it, thaw in warm water for about 10 minutes, put in pan and bake).
7Bake, uncovered at 375 for 45 minutes.
8Sprinkle cheese on top and bake five more minutes or until cheese is melted

No comments:

Post a Comment