Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Crochet-Along - 1918 Pattern


Free crochet pattern for doilies from Crochet Treasures

Stitches used:

Chain (ch) - yarn over and pull through loop.
*
Single Crochet (sc) - Insert hook in stitch, yarn over and pull up loop, yarn over and pull through both loops on hook.
*
Double Crochet (dc) - Yarn over, insert hook in stitch, yarn over and pull up loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over and draw through 2 loops, yarn over and draw through remaining 2 loops.
*
Treble Crochet (t) - Yarn over 2 times, insert hook in stitch, yarn over and pull up loop (4 loops on hook), yarn over and draw through 2 loops, yarn over and draw through next 2 loops, yarn over and draw through remaining 2 loops.
*
Picot - Chain 4, slip stitch in first chain.

I am using a size 4 hook and size 10 crochet thread (the pattern states size 20 thread and 12 hook), so my doily is larger measuring about 12-13 inches. Use whatever is comfortable for you.

Instructions:


Row 1: Chain 8, join. Chain 1, 14 single crochet in ring, join to 1st sc.
+
Row 2: Chain 1, sc in same stitch as join, single crochet in each of next 2 stitches, 2 single crochet in next stitch, *single crochet in next 2 stitches, 2 single crochet in next stitch, * repeat * to * around, join to first sc. (you should have 19 single crochets)
+
Row 3: Chain 3, double crochet in each of next 2 single crochets, 2 double crochet in next sc,
*double crochet in each of next 3 single crochets, 2 double crochet in next sc*, repeat from * to * around, join in top of beginning chain 3. (there should be 26 double crochets)
Row 3 correction: Chain 3, double crochet in same stitch as chain 3, *double crochet in each of next 2 stitches, 2 double crochet in next stitch* repeat from *to* around, you will end with 2 double crochets in last stitch, join to top of beginning chain 3. (26 double crochets)
+
Row 4: Chain 3, *double crochet in next stitch, 2 double crochet in next stitch*, repeat from * to * around, join in top of beginning chain 3. (38 double crochets)
+
Row 5: Chain 3, double crochet in same stitch as chain 3, *double crochet in next stitch, 2 double crochets in next stitch*, repeat from * to * around to last stitch, 2 double crochet in last stitch, join in top of beginning chain 3.(58 double crochets)















Row 6. Chain 3, *double crochet in next stitch, 2 double crochets in next stitch*, repeat from * to * around, double crochet in last stitch, join to top of beginning chain 3. (86 double crochets)
+
Row 7. Chain 3, double crochet in next 6 stitches, 2 double crochets in next stitch, *double crochet in next 7 stitches, 2 double crochets in next stitch*, repeat from *to* around, ending with 6 double crochets, join to top of beginning chain 3. (96 double crochets)
+
Row 8. Chain 5 (counts as 1 double crochet and chain 2) skip 1 stitch, *double crochet in next stitch, chain 2, skip next stitch*, around, join to 3rd chain of beginning chain. (48 spaces)
+
Row 9. Slip stitch into space, chain 1, single crochet in same space, *chain 7, skip next space, single crochet into next space* around, ending with chain 7, join into first single crochet. (24 chain 7 loops)

















10. Slip stitch to center of chain 7, chain 1, single crochet in loop, *chain 5, single crochet in next loop*, repeat around, join to first single crochet.
+
11. Chain 5, *double crochet in loop, chain 2, double crochet in single crochet, chain 2*, repeat around, join to third chain of beginning chain. NOTE: This row will cause the doily to cup/turn up, this will straighten out with the next row.
+
12. Chain 4, *3 treble crochet in next space, treble crochet in double crochet, 3 treble crochet in space, skip next double crochet*, repeat around, join to top of beginning chain 4.
+
13. Chain 4, 1 treble crochet in same stitch as chain 4, chain 2 and 2 treble crochet in same stitch again to form cluster. *Skip 4 stitches, cluster (2 treble crochet, chain 2, 2 treble crochet) in next stitch, skip 3 stitches, cluster in next stitch*, repeat this until you have 27 clusters, for the next 12 clusters skip 3 stitches between each cluster, join to top of beginning chain 4. (39 clusters)















14. Slip stitch into center of cluster, chain 1, single crochet (in center of cluster) *chain 10, single crochet in center of cluster*, repeat around, join to 1st single crochet.
+
15. Slip stitch to center of chain 10 space, chain 1, single crochet in space, *chain 10, single crochet in next space* around, join to 1st single crochet.
+
16. Slip stitch to center of chain, chain 4, treble crochet in space, chain 2, 2 treble crochet in same place to form cluster, *chain 2, in next space 2 treble crochet chain 2 2 treble crochet,* around, join to top of beginning chain 4.
+
17. Slip stitch to center of cluster, chain 1, sc in space, *chain 12, single crochet in next cluster*, repeat around and join to first single crochet.













18. Slip stitch to center of chain 12 space, chain 1, single crochet in space, *chain 8, single crochet in next space*, repeat around, join to first single crochet.
+
19. Chain 4, *10 treble crochets in space, treble crochet in single crochet*, repeat around, join to top of beginning chain 4.















20. Chain 4, treble crochet in same stitch as chain 4, chain 2, 2 treble crochet again in same stitch, *skip 5 stitches, make cluster in next stitch* (cluster = 2treble crochet, chain 2, 2 treble crochet), repeat around, join to top of beginning chain 4. (72 clusters) NOTE: I found that for the last 8 clusters I had to skip only 4 stitches between each cluster to end up with 72 clusters. Adjust as you need to obtain 72 clusters.
+
21. Slip stitch into center of cluster, chain 4, 2 treble crochet in same space, chain 4, slip stitch into first chain (picot), 3 treble crochet in same space, *chain 3, single crochet in next space, [chain 3, 3 treble crochet, picot, 3 treble crochet] in next space* around, join to top of beginning chain 4. Fasten off. Block either by starching or ironing/spray starch.














Happy Crocheting

23 comments:

  1. Glor, your doily is beautiful. I love to see the thread crochet works of others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess I'd better get out my thread and needle. No way will mine end up as pretty as yours but I'm going to give it "the good old college try."

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really pretty! Coming along nicely...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya! Thanks for your comment, I'll have another go at it today. See you this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your doily! This weekend I hope to try some new patterns. I will check this one out. Definitely don't have the same choices of yarn that you do. Grandma's best sounds like a great choice for a 1918 doily. :) Hope you are having a wonderful Wednesday! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it too!
    Don't you think it's amazing how many different variations there are in the crochet world!? I mean, it's like a snow flake, am I right! hehee...

    thanks for sharing this....Now I know where to come when I need a new pattern fix.

    Yesterday I posted about some crochet lace trim that another blogger sent me...it looks complicated...but I am going to see if I can't work the pattern out just by looking at it! I do love a good challenge!

    have a good one!

    ciao bella

    CREATIVE CARMELINA

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty doily! Have fun with your crochet along :-)

    Have a great week,
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, got my thread and hook out to start and I have a question already. (sorry!)
    Does the beginning chain(s) of each row count as the first stitch or no? When we join, do we join in the beginning chain(s) or into the first regular stitch?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adding to pattern for Rows 1 and 2 ... at join: join to lst sc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in...I may fall behind just a bit..working
    next 3 days..not much time for moving the hook...

    ReplyDelete
  11. ps...I mentioned your crochet along over at my place...the more the merrier...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Gloria, I have faith that the CAL will turn out marvelously! Thanks for letting me know about the first two rows. I'm using red. Thank you for stopping by my blog with your sweet words and your encouragement my friend.♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Glor. I'm having a problem with Rnd 3 - it says I'm supposed to end with 26 dc but I'm only getting 23 dc - (my Rnd 2 comes out good at 19 sc).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry for row three ... I think this fixes it, could you let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm having the same problem as Debi....only getting 23 dc for rnd 3, and I had the correct count of 19 for rnd 2.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got it now Glor & it comes out perfect! On to round 4!♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks glor - everything's good now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this color purple is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am glad you all know what your doing :( I need to start back at row 1. Hmm...I need to find a video. I am definitely a visual learner... Gloria, How about I buy you a video camera and while you knit just record your hands hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I finished mine Glor, and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how pretty it came out. I have not posted it yet, but I had lots of fun making this, am already starting a second one, and can't wait for you to start a NEW CAL, whenever you do! Thanks for hosting this one!... Have a wonderful weekend! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Glor,
    I finished my doily and posted about it at http://travelingthrough2.blogspot.com/2010/10/end-of-weekend.html. Thank you for the Crochet along I had a great time!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I finished it! Now I just need to figure out how to block it...

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's a beautiful doily pattern! Very nice on the eyes. It's also been chosen as the first doily for 2012 at the yahoo group Doily-of-the-month. Thank you for posting this crochet along....and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete