Saturday, August 29, 2009

Crocheted Neck Cozy




This is my first attempt at creating my own pattern and although its quite simple, I am pleased with the results.

I wanted a neck cozy that would stay in place but didn't want to have to deal with buttons or to have to pull over the head, warm but not bulky.

Its wide enough to turn the collared part up for additional warmth and protection.



I hope the instructions are clear as this hasn't been tested. Please let me know if you find a problem with this pattern.













Pattern :

  • Hook sizes = J and G
  • 3.5 oz worsted weight yarn,a main color and a small amount of contrasting color (if not using a contrasting yarn then 4 oz of the main color).
  • 1. With J hook chain 25, sc in first chain from hook and across, 24 sc, ch1, turn
  • 2. sc in same stitch as ch1, *dc in next stitch, sc in next stitch,* repeat across ending with a dc, ch1, turn.

    Repeat row 2 till you have reached 27 inches,
  • then sc in same stitch as ch1, continue with the dc, sc, repeat for 8 stitches,chain 8, skip 8 stitches, continue dc, sc repeat to end of row (last 8 stitches)ending with dc, ch1, turn
  • Repeat row 2 until you have total length of 32 inches.
  • Finish off main color, attach constrasting yarn, ch1, sc, ch3, skip one stitch and sc in next,*ch3, skip one stitch, sc in next st*, repeat around, slip stitch to beginning sc and fasten off.
  • Using G Hook, fasten main color to side stitch on opening pass through, ch1, sc, sc around for 26 singles crochets, join with slip stitch and fasten off.

Putting this row of single crochets will keep the opening from strectching out.

This can be made in an evening and is a great stash buster item.

17 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linking up. :) It looks very warm and cozy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very cool! I love it! I may need to start crocheting agian!

    thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice! I like the fancy pattern. I may need to go find those colors - they look really elegant! Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Looks like a wonderful item to land in an Etsy store near you. :)

    Thanks for linking up and sharing your cozy project!

    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty! I have to make a cozy for my tea pot...any ideas for patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the results of this pattern. I did have a little problem with the "hole". I figured it out ok. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the pattern - great design! Will have to whip one up for myself! :0) http://dzdoodles.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a beatuiful pattern & my favorite part is that it lays flat...nothing bulky @ my neck (which drives me crazy). Made one in wool for my BIL who's in Afganistan, hopefully he'll be able to wear it w/his uniform? The pattern makes really nice fingerless gloves too!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. am going to make...need a couple quick items for Christmas present and I am way behind:)...ty for the pattern..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your instructions are so great! I'm gonna start on this tomorrow, which is Dec. 1, 2011. I'm finishing a loomed hat tonight. Thanks and keep up the good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a darling scarf! I want to try this!

    Judy S.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mother made me something smaller but similar when I was a lot younger (maybe early 20's -- I'm now mid-60's), and I have always loved mine! That one was knitted, but since I much prefer crochet..... thanks!

    ReplyDelete