Sunday, January 24, 2010

Monday Menu Prep

Photobucket


The rains are upon us and will be for another day so a nice stew is in order.

Tomorrow night's fare will be


Lentil Stew
Whole Wheat Croissants
Salad with the fixens
fruit and/or pudding

I found the recipe Argentine Lentil Stew at All Recipes http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Argentine-Lentil-Stew/Detail.aspx
and with a few minor changes* this is my version:

Lentil Stew

2 cups dry lentils
2 quarts water
1 veg. bouillon cube
2 15 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes
1 large onion, diced
2 carrots, chopped
1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced
1 cup frozen peas
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup barbeque sauce
1 can chicken broth
1/2 - 1 teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot bring lentils to a boil, while simmering prepare veggies. Add all ingredients and simmer for 3 - 4 hours. Season to taste. It is very, very good! A keeper! Enjoy.

*My changes (already included in the recipe above): I doubled the amount of lentils, water, and barbeque sauce, used two can diced tomatoes, 1 can chicken broth and increased the cooking time. Its an excellent stew.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting. I do a lot with lentils --beans in general since I am vegetarian. I could definitely take this recipe and make a few changes and give it a try. I use an organic vege powder for everything -- all my soups and veges, usually about 3 TBS and it makes everything taste deliciouis! Your menu for tonite sounds yummo! Have a great day. :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete