Thursday, February 18, 2010

February's Flower - Violet

PhotobucketWhen I'm not crocheting I like to sit with a nice cup of tea and a good book and as I just happen to have a violet cup and saucer and its February, what else to use! I especially like old books, there is such a charm about them. This one here is from 1919. I start to wonder who had held this book before, what were they like, where they lived ... sort of dreamy, no?


February's flower is the Violet.
Botanical Names: Saintpaulia Other Names: African Violet



Description: A five petaled velvety blossom.










Colors: purple, pink, white








Season: All year round


Meaning: Named for Baron Walter Von Saint Paul Illaire who discovered the plant in Tanzania in 1892.


Modesty, faithfulness, virtue.









One of the most popular flowering houseplants.




These are just a few of my violets. They are "sleeping" right now, when they bloom they are so beautiful.


May your dreams blossom. Wishing you abundant blessings.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post! Your pictures are lovely and the information interesting. I didn't know all that about the African Violet. We were supposed to go to Tanzania last summer but plans changed. My husband was supposed to go in the Fall on business, but the guy he was to travel with got malaria so had to postpone. Now I don't know if it will ever happen. Sending warm hugs and wishes your way. :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete