Saturday, October 15, 2011

Simplistic Goodness

Last week I was given two buttercup squash.   They look like green pumpkins to me.  Never had a buttercup squash before but had been told of their wonderful nut like taste and potato like consistency.  Initially I tried to cut it open to scoop out the insides to cook but holy cow, these pumpkin looking squash are as hard as a concrete block.  My husband offered to get his saw but I decided to plop it into a baking pan with about 1/2 inch water and bake in the oven.  Ahh, success.  The first one I cooked I had left in there for probably 45 minutes, the one I did yesterday was only about 25 minutes.  Both times were long enough that the skin was soft and I could easily cut apart and proceeded to make
Buttercup Squash Soup that is delicious.  And I have to mention and oh so easy! 

I simply scooped out the seeds, peeled the squash and cut into chunks.  Kid you not, eating this just like it is is wonderful, the taste is amazing.  Seeing how good this is I didn't even bother looking for a recipe.  I just  sauted a diced onion and three minced garlic cloves in oil, added the buttercup chunks, three cups of chicken broth, salt and pepper to taste.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer away until the squash breaks down.  I did slice half a  red pepper that was in the fridge and threw in to add color.  Complemented the squash quite nicely.  Talk about an autumn soup.  It was delectable and will be a keeper in my kitchen.

I found an Onion Soup recipe the other night which was given to me many years ago (probably about 20 or more).  Another very simple but very good soup ... saving that for another day.

 

1 comment:

  1. Your soups sounds good Glor and perfect for autumn. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete